Monday, September 28, 2009

"Jesus in Blue Jeans" and A busy few weeks...

Over the past couple of months, there has been one thing that I have heard a couple of people say, one that I know we all deal with at times, and that is "I just don't know what to pray for" or "I don't know how to pray". I set in my church and I hear people say this with shaky voices and trembling hands, because they're scared to admit it, worried that it makes them less worthy or an unproductive servant in God's eyes. I think my preacher said it best when he answered these concerns saying, (loosely quoted) "it doesn't matter if we know 'how' to pray, or exactly what to pray for...it doesn't even matter if we know the persons name in need...it doesn't matter if we know the situation fully...God knows what's in our hearts, and when we seek him in prayer, he will life the people up, he will hear those prayers". As a person who is constantly working on praying and wondering if I'm doing it right...that statement was a revelation for me, one that put my mind at ease. That doesn't in any way mean that I have gave up working on my prayer, because I still want to strengthen in that area, but I just understand that God knows our hearts, even when words can't express what we're feeling.

I mentioned the book "Jesus in Blue Jeans" in my last post I believe. I just finished it up today. It was truly just the best read I've encountered in a long time. It's one of those books that speaks volumes, and one that I think each individual would feel was written for them. I think everyone who reads it would take different aspects of it and say "wow, that is so ME". I learned a great deal about myself...and Jesus from this one. So ready to pass it on to the next person. I think it'd be interesting to let a group of my friends read it and then do like a "book club" type analysis of it. I went highlight crazy, selecting key points...so I think it'll be kinda cool for the next person who reads it to see what stood out to me...and then to hear what spoke to them. Maybe I'm a nerd? ha.

A few favorite selections:

"We must begin to see ourselves as being gates for others. Imagine the person standing before you has no other access to God's love and blessing but you. Are you willing to open that gate" - Jesus in Blue Jeans pp. 236

--this one I like because it immediately made me think of all the people who have been gates for me. there was a time when i was younger that i didn't want to hear about how I need to have a relationship with God...but no matter how many times I told them I didn't want to hear it...they continued to talk about Him to me and give their testimonies...they opened the gate. Grateful, grateful. I really hope I can open gates for other people.

"One cost of that perception (of being out of time) is that we forget to afford one another the simple yet magnificent, irreplacible gift --the gift of our presence. Jesus understood the value of presence. It is in fact the only thing he ever really asked of his disciples. "Will you wait with me in the garden?"he asked as he faced the most difficult decision of his life. --Mark 14: 32-37..." -Jesus in Blue Jeans pp. 281

I think that one almost speaks for itself...that is why I go out of my way to simply give the gift of my presence...

"In order to experience God's power fully, it is imperative that we let our family, friends, and co-workers start with a clean plate each day....It has finally occured to me that the only one hurt by anger will be me. If I hold on to it, thinking the other person is being punished, I am wrong. Resentment is full of disease causing germs" - Jesus in Blue Jeans pp 244

Well...if you know me, you know that one is dead on.

Ok...i better stop posting half the book in here, haha. But I will give one example of a "Power Connection"

This book really did help me in my prayer...this was one of my favorite ones:

"Dear Lord, You have given me Your name and authority to use with confidence and for good. Help me claim my rightful standing in You. Help me remember that all You have is mine, and I am Yours. Help me pray with confidence, and direct others with confidence, knowing YOur love and Your calling are the only authority I need. Amen." (pp 217)

Anyway...yeah, I don't mean to go on and, but this book really did just captivate me, so I wanted to share a little of it with you. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have an exciting, busy few weeks ahead. I'm goin to see Eric Church tomorrow, just found out he had a free show, yay. Then Wednesday I have 2 presentations, and I'm seeing Hanson! So excited! haha. Friday I'm seein Charlie Robison and Sunny Sweeney...which I'm so anxious for too, love Charlie, and Sunny is a hoot! The next week I'm goin to the Tulsa State Fair to see KPO and good ole BS. Then the next week is Nashville...and the week after that Texas. Whew. I'm really excited to see some friends, and just get a break from the stress of classes and other things.


I'll just end by asking that you pray for my sister, all the tests she took today that could be looked at immediately went well, and didn't show problems, but a few got sent out, so pray that they come back equally postive.

OKIE love
-Lyssa

No comments: