Sunday, November 16, 2008

"To hold out hope, to offer peace..."

Well my goodness, I haven't wrote in this thing since June. To be completely honest, I forgot I had it until I saw one of my friends had started one. Anyway, here I am. =)

Today is a pretty lovely day. I got up early and went to church this morning, and it was amazing. I always enjoy it, but some days it speaks to me more than others.
Philippians 2: 3-5
"Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus."

That was the message today, and it is something that I try so hard to do, I am so selfish at times, but I am working on that.

I am just so proud of my church. I walked in today, everyone smiling and greeting me, it's such a warm feeling. I had talked to my pastor and a few members of the congregation about maybe helping an organization that a few of my friends are involved in, and when I walked in today the Pastor told me how happy they were to help, and handed me a check, then his wife brought me a bag full of toothbrushes, 122 actually. She said she had seen that that was one of the things they really needed, and so she got them. My church has a very small gathering, usually around 16, and money is tight, but you wouldn't know it. Everyone has such a big heart, and they all inspire me to be a better person. I consider myself so blessed to be surrounded by people like that.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that. =)

I think we should all try to give. It doesn't have to be money. Maybe it's just spending a little bit of time with someone, smiling at a stranger, reading to someone...there is so much to be done in this world, you can be a part of that! =)

I'm goin' back to Nashville next week. Headin' out there with Amy and Holly to catch an Opry show, and spend time with some friends one last time this year. Can't wait! =)

I suppose that's all for now.

-Lyssa

No comments: